PROJECT: AIB THE PRESS PHOTOGRAPHERS ASSOCIATION OF IRELAND PHOTOJOURNALISM
AGENCY: MARY CROTTY PUBLIC RELATIONS – IRELAND
CLIENT: AIB BANK AND FINANCIAL SERVICES
Project of the Year: 2009 Toronto
For the past 8 years AIB, Ireland’s largest banking and financial services organisation, has sponsored the Press Photographers Association of Ireland Annual Awards. The Association represents over 300 press photographers throughout Ireland. The winning images form a touring exhibition visiting over 20 AIB branches and other locations round Ireland for 10 months following the Awards. It is Ireland’s largest touring exhibition.
- Create a platform to showcase the very best in Irish photojournalism via the Awards
- Reinforce the bank’s already strong presence in the community through the campaign for the Awards
- Secure positive and informative media coverage across a broad spectrum of media – print, broadcast and online
- Include staff and customers through the touring exhibition and through regular information on the sponsorship and the actual exhibition
- Develop master classes throughout Ireland and promote them at community level to foster photographic talent
- Create an impactful Awards ceremony and follow through with a strong media relations campaign at national and community level.
- Email sent to all PPAI (Press Photographers Association of Ireland) members containing a joint AIB/PPAI letter, entry form and rules.
- Behind-the-scenes work started with suppliers who would ensure the delivery of the Awards ceremony.
- Selection and confirmation of the Master of Ceremonies.
- Compilation of a judging catalogue with a thumbnail sketch of each entry
- Allocation of an entry code to ensure anonymity throughout the judging process
- Photocall initiated to present the judges and AIB representatives to the media
- Judges’ dinner hosted by AIB, that included all picture editors of national newspapers and PPAI committee members.
- DVD produced to include footage from different stages of the judging process, the Awards and a slide show of the winning images to aid the regional master classes, a key element of the sponsorship.
- Awards ceremony invitations issued to AIB personnel, PPAI members and national and local media
- Fully branded catalogue complied containing all the winning photographs and captions prefaced by a welcome note from the sponsor. Strict security to keep the winning entry secret was necessary
- A disc of winning images with fully branded captioned inlay card produced
- AIB branch network approached with a view to hosting the travelling exhibition and initial schedule drafted
- Final reconnaissance of the venue took place with AIB team and all suppliers including event photographers
- Task sheets allocated to each member of staff
- Media room set up in hotel with high-speed connection
- Full rehearsal held in the afternoon prior to the event
- DVDs with the winning images delivered under strict embargo to morning papers.
- Discs, releases and catalogues posted to regional editors on the day of the Awards to ensure delivery on the Monday following the event.
- Follow up to ensure regional live social pictures had been issued
- Additional requests for catalogues, press releases and discs from magazines, international publications and regional newspapers dealt with
- Touring exhibition set up at the bank’s headquarters and viewed by 5000 staff prior to embarking upon the regional tour
- The Photojournalism Book created , launched by the Irish president. Copies to be presented to the local mayor/dignitaries at each branch of AIB hosting the exhibition
- An interview with the winner secured on Late Late Show, Ireland’s most popular and prestigious chat show. 750,000 TV audience during 7 minute slot
- Live feed shown to audience at the Awards ceremony
- 8 national and 40 regional newspapers covered the Awards
- Further coverage for the touring exhibition expected
- Cost of coverage would have been in excess of €240,000. Readership reached totalled over 7 million